SGI Altix - asm error

Qbox installation issues
Forum rules
You must be a registered user to post in this forum. Registered users may also post new topics if they consider that their subject do not correspond to any topic already present on the forum.
naromero

SGI Altix - asm error

Post by naromero »

Hi,

My apologies if I did not post this inquiry in the appropriate place. First, I think its great that this code has been
open sourced.

I am having trouble compiling readTSC.C. I have tried g++ 4.1.2 and icc 9.1.42. They both complain about
asm statements not being supported and unable to parse line 26. The architecture is an SGI Altix.

Many thanks,
Nichols A. Romero
ivan

Re: SGI Altix - asm error

Post by ivan »

Hi,

I tried to compile the readTSC.C function with both icc (v10.1.15) and g++ (v4.1.2) and it works fine on Intel(R)-64 - linux fedora 8. Could you please post the exact error message you get during the compilation and the .mk include file you used? Is the error message something like:
... error: asm statements not supported in this environment
{ return __glibcpp_...; }
In this case, maybe you should try first to update the glibc development library.
fgygi
Site Admin

Post by fgygi »

Hi,
The readTSC.C file is really only used in some test programs to have accurate timings. It is not used in Qbox itself. On the SGI Altix, you can remove the line
PLTOBJECTS = readTSC.o
from the Makefile header.
naromero

Post by naromero »

Hi,

In answer to ivan's inquiry, the is precisely the error message I received: "asm statements not supported in this environment."

I later realized that it was not an essential part of QBox so I just ended up omitting it. (which is what fgygi recommended)

I would appreciate any recommendations for a compiler + math libraries combination for the SGI Altix. I tried gcc 4.1.2
and the SGI -lscs -lsdsm but I could never resolve all the dependencies. The preferred compiler on the SGI Altix seems
to be icc.
fgygi
Site Admin

Post by fgygi »

Here is a Makefile header that I have used some time ago on NCSA Cobalt, which is an SGI Altix.
Francois
Attachments
Cobalt.mk
(2.09 KiB) Downloaded 772 times